Thursday, January 17, 2013

Last few days of Oz


In true Melissa fashion my last days were jam packed. With the exception of one day, I worked every day for nearly 2 weeks. I was trying to finish up tasks I promised the hospital I’d do for them, mostly data analysis and then editing a couple of papers. I figured my primary goal was to relax between the time I get back to the states and the time I start my new job so I could afford a few packed days before I left. I also squeezed in fun time. One day Candice brought me (and her husband, her brother-in-law, and her brother-in-law’s girlfriend) to her husband’s uncle’s houseboat about 2 hours NE. On the way we stopped for meat pies in a country town because Candice said my life was incomplete without trying one. I tried it, it was okay. Imagine a pot pie with minced steak and gravy inside and ketchup (‘tomato sauce’) on top. Not bad, but not something I want for breakfast on a regular basis. The houseboat was nice, mostly because it was on the water and I am happiest when near the water. On the way home we stopped by a Chocolatier and it was AMAZING! They brilliantly had free samples at the door and after trying only a few delicious morsels I bought 3 boxes and an ice cream. Don’t worry, I brought them home to share.


Myself and the infamous Candice.

I also had a special dinner with my housemates over the weekend and a special breakfast with my housemate Katrina the day I left. She made me toast with Vegemite (my first try believe it or not) and a cup of tea – very Aussie. Vegemite wasn’t bad. When applied correctly, it is just a bit salty giving the toast a salty-buttery taste. Then, she made me smell the jar. It smelled like rubbing alcohol. I mean absolutely reeked. After that I couldn’t eat it without smelling it and the last few bites were not nearly as good as the first few. Ah well, another check on the bucket list. I brought some home for everyone to try as well.  Although not featured on this blog enough, Katrina and I became good friends quite quickly and I will miss her. We’ve talked a lot about her visiting Florida one day but she is currently finishing up a master’s in architecture and so she, like many of us who pursued higher education, is short on cash for traveling. Hopefully one day soon. 
Me, Katrina, Georgia, and Sebastian

1 comment:

  1. Yay for the pictures! Also, when will you post the bingo sheet? What did you do/didnt do?

    ReplyDelete