I am writing this on the plane from LAX to Houston, about
2/3 of the way through my looooong journey back. Candice brought me to the
airport yesterday at 9:30am and after checking in, going through Australian customs,
etc. I boarded around noon on the 15th. Took a plane to Sydney then
departed for LAX in the early afternoon. I had an aisle seat for the 13 hour
flight- not my favorite spot but things could have been worse (like for the guy
next to me in the middle seat). There were at least 3 small babies on board, one
was about 9 months and sitting a few rows in front of me. He was happy and
quiet for the entire trip. A few rows behind me were two more (these two in the
same family), I’d estimate one was about 18 months and the other about 4
months. They took turns crying most of the night. I had so much sympathy for
both sets of parents, particularly the second set that were not likely to sleep
for the entire 24 hrs of travel. I also wondered what circumstances brought
each family on this flight and could only imagine it had to be something quite
important as to warrant bringing babies at those ages on such a long flight. Nonetheless,
I did get some sleep and arrived in LAX at 9:40a on the 15th (got
there before I left, funny huh?). This is when the adventure started.
I had 2 hours to get off the plane, get through immigration,
through customs, pick up my baggage (which weighs close to 100lbs), re-check my
baggage, go back through security, and find my gate for my next flight. The
catch is I brought kangaroo jerky (planning to share with you all!) and the US
policy is vague about which meat you are allowed to bring in so it was possible
I would get stopped at customs for a bit. The regulations generally restrict
any meat (or meat product) from an animal that has had recent diseases, is an
endangered species, meat that needs refrigeration, or that is in packaging that
isn’t properly sealed. I got an express pass through customs, baggage re-check,
and security because my flight was boarding so soon but sometimes my line was
slower than the regular line. My jerky cleared customs and I made it to my gate
as they were boarding (whew!). I have now been traveling almost 24 hrs and my
eyes hurt, I need a shower, would like to brush my teeth, and am starving. At
the same time I am elated to be back in the states and am happy dancing through
each airport, boarding line, crowded bathroom, and my now plane seat. I turned on my phone just before I boarded at
LAX and was able to make a few quick calls. It was so nice to actually be able
to call people back home again. Nearly there!
UPDATE: I made it! I adjusted to the time immediately and went house hunting with my mom yesterday and today. I found a place to live and will hopefully move in right after I get back from Athens.More soon...
Welcome home! When will we see you?
ReplyDeleteShirin
I just discovered that you are still blogging, and I've had such fun catching up on your adventures! Congratulations on your new position, and best of luck in Florida!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Sherry! Hope all is well with you!
ReplyDelete