Monday, August 6, 2012

Graduation at last


Ok, so obviously that last post was published a bit later than I intended. I did write it in advance, however. The newest update is of course graduation. After my class on Thursday (and by after I mean immediately after) Brendan and I went out for drinks and then met up with several of our friends for more drinks and dinner. My family arrived on Friday evening, so we went out for more drinks (obviously). Saturday morning was graduation. Because I had to arrive early for the ceremony, Brendan graciously dropped everyone off. I'm sure he and Tamar were a big help to my family as they said "who's that?" "why are they doing that?"  Walking out in the processional finally made graduation feel real - I guess I'm a sucker for ceremonies. After the ceremony we all went out to eat at the Butt Hutt - a very classy local BBQ place. The rest of the time we just hung out, relaxed, and watched the Olympics. Tamar, who has been my right hand for the past week, was also able to join us for most of the visiting, which was really nice. My family had heard so much about her that they wanted to tell her how much they appreciated her. It was really nice to have so much of my family in town, I guess by missing Thanksgiving and Christmas I won't have a get-together like that for a while. I'm at the Jacksonville airport now, planning to get on my first plane in about an hour or so. I will keep posting as I get further in my travels!

Tamar, Brendan, and myself looking at a photo album of pictures Tamar got me for graduation.


 Brendan and I doing what we do best...

making silly faces!

 Tamar and Jimmy at our celebration dinner

Tamar and Natale

Time for real happy faces

Much of the usual gang (from left to right): Jimmy, Tamar, Natale, Me, Brendan, Courtney, and Andy

My advisors, Anne and Janet, right before the graduation ceremony.

Anne and Janet "hooding" me - the time old tradition of getting your hood put on when you earn your PhD

My cousin Sandi and her husband, Tom. It's hard to get everyone looking the same way when there are 5 cameras flashing.


The immediate family, such a happy bunch.

More silly faces at lunch.

A few more family members enjoying lunch.


3 comments:

  1. (and not just because you said my name like 7 times)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still hasn't sunk in yet that we actually have a doctor in the family. Melissa will always be our baby girl who always pretty much knew what she wanted and what direction she needs to go to get it. We are so extremely proud of her and wish her happiness always and as many challenges that she wants to tackle.

    ReplyDelete