Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A few Aussis-isms


Today was my first full day of work and I must say it was a full day. I got in around 8:15 and left around 6:30 (for those of you with real jobs, spare the gasping please). I have a lot of meetings planned these first few weeks to get to know everyone in the 'office' and to hear about clinical experiences in the hospital. I also got to talk about some data today and it sounds like I'll be the lead quantitative analyst on the data set while I'm here. Both my supervisor and I got very excited about this and I thought of a million papers to write. Down boy, down.

Today's lunch with 3 other colleagues was quite fun as well. Interestingly, it was myself, two native Aussies, and one woman Canadian (been in Melbourne about 4 years) so we had a good time talking about words/phrases used in the three countries. A few I was unfamiliar with are below...guess what they mean (no googling!):

au fait (actually common in Australia, Canadian had never heard of it)
face washer
pushchair (or pram)
tomato sauce
slides
moccasin
trolley
thongs (not what you think, but probably used some in the states as well)

In other news, I've been invited to be a fill-in for a women's netball team on some Tuesdays. When I asked Candice (my co-worker/temporary boss) if she could show me how to play first, she said 'nah, you'll just get it." I've been told its most similar to our basketball, which I gotta tell you is just not a short girl's sport. We'll see how it goes!

3 comments:

  1. I did not gasp at your "long day" because those are similar to my hours and I think they are a long day too.
    Here are my guesses:
    Pram= stroller
    Tomato sauce= spaghetti sauce
    Thongs= flip flops
    I don't know what I think abt the rest!
    -Shirin

    ReplyDelete
  2. au fait = this is what happens when you wake up in the morning with gas
    face washer = "face washers" come up to you in your car and offer to wash your face
    pushchair (or pram) = wheelchair
    tomato sauce = spaghetti sauce
    slides = straws
    moccasin = boots
    trolley = bus
    thongs = flippie floppies (on a related note, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfISlGLNU)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tamar, those were some of my guesses too. Shirin, most of your guess are correct.

    Great job!

    Answers:
    au fait - means informed/knowledgeable "she is not very au fait on her daughter's medical condition"
    face washer - wash cloth, even if it isn't used for washing faces
    pushchair (or pram) - stroller
    tomato sauce - ketchup
    slides - sandals that aren't flip flops (like the old school Adidas sandals)
    moccasin - similar to our moccasin shoes, but closer to a loafer
    trolley - shopping cart
    thongs - flip flops

    ReplyDelete