Sunday, December 16, 2012

Great Barrier Reef and Daintree Rainforest

Last week I took a fun trip to Port Douglas, Australia. It is a quiet little beach town about an hour north of Cairns. It was a wonderful, relaxing trip filled with time by the pool, by the beach, out on a boat, and hiking through a rain forest. While in the rain forest I learned a good amount about the indigenous population - how they used the land and some of their cultural practices.

This was the pool at my hostel. It was probably only mid 80s with a nice breeze - perfect weather. 

This is 4-mile beach, the famous beach across the street from my hostel. 

I took a day trip out to the Great Barrier Reef. It was BEAUTIFUL. I have underwater pictures as well, but I need to get them developed. 

This is the Port Douglas marina where I picked up my boat for my reef trip. 

Another day I went on a day trip to the Daintree Rainforest. This was on a boat ride across the Daintree river where we were searching for crocodiles. We didn't see any. I'm not surprised, there are boats that go back and forth across this river all day long. 

The landscape was amazing the entire trip - beach, mountains, rivers, everything!

This was one of my favorite pictures. Jellyfish are quite prominent in the area, to the point that swimming isn't allowed in most areas, but just in case you get stung here is some vinegar for you. 

Part of Mossman Gorge, in the rainforest. 


Me in front of the gorge. 


A flower in the rain forest. It just stuck out at me and required a picture!





No comments:

Post a Comment